Sweet Satisfaction

As we’ve been running our Cultivating the Sweet Life course over the last few weeks, I have found myself inspired to refine my own self-care & nourishment practices. We’ve been exploring conscious comfort foods and avoiding those foods that just make us feel out of balance.

I’ve been changing my relationship to sugar lately, knowing that a low glycemic diet just works better for me. I find that limiting my sugar intake to simple fruits and small treats works best.

Finding sweet treats that can be satisfying in small amounts and made with sweeteners that don’t cause major blood sugar spikes is how I now indulge when cravings creep in. After making these changes to how I consume desserts, I find that I really need less sweetness to feel the same level of satisfaction that traditional desserts used to deliver.

This week, I was excited to create a Strawberry Shortcake inspired cookie. Strawberry Shortcake is my family’s Easter dessert and though I no longer indulge in that particular version, this fruity, vanilla infused cookie is a beautiful reminder of past celebrations. And yes, having just one can be deeply satisfying.

Strawberry Shortcookies
makes about 2 dozen (depending on your scoop)

• 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
  • 1 1/2 cups freeze dried strawberries (I found this brand at Whole Foods)
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 cup coconut nectar or liquid sweetener of choice
  • 3 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch of Himalayan salt

Place the cashews in the food processor and process until finely ground. Add in the freeze dried strawberries and process again until finely ground.  Add in the coconut, coconut nectar, coconut oil, vanilla and salt. Process again until well combined and sticky. Use a small scoop to create round cookies, form into balls with your hands or press into and 8″ pan lined with wax paper. Place the cookies in the freezer for one hour to firm. Remove from the freezer and if you opted for the pan, cut into squares. Thaw 10 minutes before serving. These can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.

What provides you with sweet satisfaction? Share with us in the comments! We love hearing from you!

Natalia is a shamanic practitioner and pure food chef working holistically to guide clients towards thriving health and unwavering happiness. She is currently living & loving in Santa Cruz, CA where she maintains her Shamanic Healing practice and hosts monthly Sacred Food & Ceremony gatherings. Learn more at NataliaKW.com.

Comments

15 Responses to “Sweet Satisfaction”

1. Miriam says:

Ohhhh dear….these look amazing! I adore strawberry shortcake.

Time to pick up some freeze dried strawberries! :)

Thank you for another beautiful recipe, Natalia!

2. Lou says:

These are too cute, such a beautiful colour – it makes you smile just to look at them. My favourite sweet satisfaction would be banana soft serve with vanilla and cacao nibs… YUM :)

3. Mindy says:

Fabulous. I just prepared these and will be bringing them to share with my family tomorrow as an Easter treat. Although they are not vegans or raw foodists, the family members I am sharing Easter with are trying to limit sugar and junk. These treats are so delicious – I know they will be a hit. I just had one, and you are right – one is just enough. I enjoyed it but didn’t feel the need for more. Not at all tempted to gorge. Perfect.

Natalia, I wanted to let you know that I requested my local library to purchase both of your books – they have both of them on order for the collection. My library is slowly building a nice little selection of raw food books. I’m sure I will eventually own copies of both myself, as I enjoy and appreciate your recipes – in the meantime, I and many others will be able to enjoy your work by checking it out of our library. :)

• Natalia says:

So excited that you had a chance to share these with family :)

I LOVE hearing that my books are popping up in libraries! I’m such a library lover, it makes me so happy that people might stumble upon them there! Thank you so much, Mindy!

• Mindy says:

You’re welcome! Just as I predicted, everyone loved the strawberry shortcookies. I have a feeling they will be requested again.

4. susan says:

YUM! These look so amazing. Can’t wait to try them!

What are your thoughts on xylitol & Lakanto?

• Natalia says:

Yay! I think that xylitol and lakanto can be great for people who really need to avoid sugar, but want to have a sweet treat once in a while. Though, the one time I played around with xylitol my tummy was super upset! I know that body ecology has high praises for lakanto, so I might opt to try that first.

5. Such a lovely recipe! I love the color and the look of them, so springy! I think theses are a beautiful way to celebrate the beauty and the radiance of the new season!

6. Missy says:

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I made these in a silicone pan shaped like little bunny heads..they were the perfect, pink spring treat for my girls baskets! :)

7. Paula says:

I just put these into the freezer. I sampled a bit beforehand and–YUM! I was out of coconut nectar and substituted some of Matthew Kenney’s raw agave. I am so thankful for a quick, simple, and delicately sweet treat. :-). Since giving up gluten, then all grains, and then all refined sugar, I rarely even want sweets anymore (and this from a former sugarholic). Every now and then, however, a little something is nice, but since I now must prepare every single meal I eat myself because of gluten concerns, I no longer have the patience for most raw desserts and their many steps. This is the kind of recipe that might lend itself well to experimenting with other flavors (I’m seriously thinking about lemon!), so I thank you for that, too! :-)