Raw Snack Bars: Your Way!

Many of us in the pure food world buy lots of prepared snack bars for easy nourishment when we’re on the go. I know that I do! But with many of them coming in at around $2-$3 a piece, we can find ourselves hungry for a more affordable option! Taking a small amount of time to whip up a batch of homemade bars with bulk ingredients is a simple solution. They’re much easier than you might think and no dehydrator is necessary! Plus, when you create your own bars, you can flavor them to match whatever you’re craving.

This is a really special project to share with your children! The basic bar recipe is nice & sweet, but quite neutral—a beautiful blank canvas ready for your creativity. You can have your kids add handfuls of their favorite dried fruits and raw seeds to create a healthy, homemade bar that they will love—and  you will, too!

Basic Vanilla Cashew Bars
Makes 10 bars

• 2 cups raw cashews
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 3/4 cup pitted dates (make sure they are very fresh & soft)
  • 1/4 cup coconut nectar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch of Himalayan salt

Place the cashews in your food processor fit with the S-blade.  Process until finely ground.  Add the coconut, dates, coconut nectar, vanilla & salt and process again to combine.

Now have some fun customizing your bars! Gather a mixture of up to 3/4 cup (about 1/4 cup of 3 individual items is a good place to start). Some suggestions:

• goji berries
  • dried mulberries
  • dried apples, chopped
  • dried mango, chopped
  • raisins
  • cranberries
  • golden berries
  • cacao nibs
  • hemp seeds
  • sunflower seeds

Add your chosen ingredients to the food processor and pulse to combine. Press into an 8″ square pan lined with wax paper. Cut into 10 equal bars & enjoy!

What flavor combination will you try? Let us know in the comments!

Natalia is a shamanic practitioner and pure food chef working holistically to guide clients towards thriving health and unwavering happiness. She is currently living & loving in Santa Cruz, CA where she maintains her Shamanic Healing practice and hosts monthly Sacred Food & Ceremony gatherings. Learn more at NataliaKW.com.

Comments

17 Responses to “Raw Snack Bars: Your Way!”

1. adwoa says:

This is so timely – I’ve just started forming a dependency on Whole Foods’ energy chunks! I’ll probably start with spirulina and carob, but then I would love to branch out to a variety of delicious dried fruits.

Could I use agave rather than coconut nectar? And if I was using another sweet dried fruit, would you do that instead of dates or in addition to (I assume they also have some binding effect on the situation in addition to sweetening)?

2. Natalia says:

Hi Adwoa! So excited you are ready to make you’re own yummy energy chunks! You can absolutely use agave. I would keep the dates in there even if you’re adding some other fruits because they really are the “glue” of the recipe. You could start with 1/2 cup of dates if you’re worried about over sweetening and see if they still hold together well. Have fun!

3. Sarah Elmore says:

This recipe looks wonderful! My husband and I are going on a hike for the weekend and these will be the perfect thing to pack along. Thank you for sharing, I’m glad I found your site!

4. Lila says:

Natalia, WOW what a great recipe!! Thanks for sharing—added it to the back of Pure Pleasures!! How do you like Santa Cruz?? August is sneaking up on me–I will be with John for 3 1/2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

• Natalia says:

Hi Lila! I hope you love the bars :) I am so happy in Santa Cruz! I was away in Utah for 2 weeks, so I’m finally back and able to settle in. Enjoy your time in Portland, it should be a lovely time!

5. Lou says:

YUM – as always Natalia… I just love your recipes :) I am a crazy snack-bar muncher so I will totally be trying these, my partner and son will love them too I’m sure. It’s so much cheaper to make your own, PLUS you can get creative – win & win!

6. Sabrina says:

These look delish! Am I suppose to use dry dates?

• Natalia says:

Hi Sabrina! Use the freshest, softest dates you can find for best results! Don’t get the pre-pitted ones, they’re way too dry. Enjoy!

• Annabelle says:

I pre-soak my pre-pitted, drier dates in warm/hot water for about 10 minutes prior to blending which works just as well :-)

7. Adriana says:

Natalia,

No dehydrator needed for this recipe? If so, I love that! These look really yummy and I can’t wait to try out my own creations.

8. maggiejen says:

Great recipe and ideas. We don’t get anything called coconut nectar here, we either have coconut milk (the liquid straight from the coconut, or tinned and bottled) or coconut cream in a tin containing 63 % coconut ‘extract ‘ (??!!) water and emulsifier. I just bought it today because I happened to notice it and thought I might give it a try, but now having read the label I don’t think I want to use it. However if that sounds anything like coconut nectar, I might make these snacks with it, maybe, not sure. If its what you use I’ll trust your judgement and use it too.

• Natalia says:

Hi Maggie! Coconut nectar is a syrup sweetener like agave or maple syrup, but made from the coconut palm. Coconut milk and cream are quite different. You can use honey, maple syrup, molasses or agave instead :)

9. Gina says:

Would these work without the shredded coconut & nectar? Can you think of any alternatives? I know about health benefits, but that coconut taste is still a killer for me. Thanks!

• Natalia says:

Hi Gina! You can use more nuts, seeds or some oats to to replace the shredded coconut. You can use any liquid sweetener to replace the coconut nectar. Enjoy :)